Rosh Hashanah materials 2014/5775
- Suggestions for rabbis speaking about Israel in light of the summer Gaza conflict
- Mi Sheberach for survivors of human trafficking
- Text for announcing Ushpizin (spiritual guests) in advance of Sukkot
- Introduction to the Torah Reading for Firsty Day (Hagar and Ishmael)
- Kavanah for Hayom Harat Olam on Modern Slavery
Resources from Previous Years
.צֶדֶק וּמִשְׁפָּט מְכוֹן כִּסְאֶךָ; חֶסֶד וֶאֱמֶת יְקַדְּמוּ פָנֶיךָ
...אַשְׁרֵי הָעָם, יֹדְעֵי תְרוּעָה
Righteousness and justice are the foundation of Your throne; lovingkindness and truth go before You.
Happy are the people who know the t’ruah sound... (Psalm 89:15-16)
These verses from Psalms speak to T'ruah's mission of bringing about a world of righteousness and justice, lovingkindness and truth. They inspire and motivate us to stand up for human rights both in this season of repentance, as part of the Rosh Hashanah Musaf service, and year-round. Rabbi Miriam Margles has graciously set this couplet to music for T'ruah. We hope the Psalmist's words and Rabbi Margles' music will keep your feet tapping and marching through Yom Kippur and beyond.
Download an MP3 of Ashrei Ha'am, with music and arrangement by Rabbi Miriam Margles.
Download a songsheet with lyrics in Hebrew, transliteration, and translation.
Download T'ruah's Rosh Hashanah kavanot for the shofar service and Malchuyot, Zichronot, and Shofarot. They expand on the song and its themes to accompany a congregation or an individual through services.
Getting your soul in order before Rosh Hashanah begins?
T'ruah has partnered with the makers of the film Herman's House to offer it as a Selichot program. Click here for more information on getting a copy of the film.
- Expulsion in the Desert: A D'var Torah for Rosh Hashanah by Rabbi Gilah Langner, 2013/5774.
- Putting out the Fire: A D'var Torah for Rosh Hashanah by Rabbi Marc Soloway, 2013/5774.
- The Future of Judaism: A D'var Torah for Rosh Hashanah by Rabbi Charles Feinberg, 2012/5773.
- Don't Go Into Hiding: A D'var Torah for Rosh Hashanah by Rabbi Ari Saks, 2012/5773.
- On Power, Hope, and Change: A sermon for Rosh Hashanah by Rabbi Barbara Penzner, 2011/5772.
- Call Me, Ishmael: A sermon for Rosh Hashanah by Rabbi Burton L. Visotzky, 2011/5772.
- Cast Out in the Be’er Sheva Desert: Hagar, Ishmael, and the Bedouin of the Negev: A sermon for the first day of Rosh Hashanah by Rabbi Joyce Galaski, 2011/5772.
- Sermon on Israel for Human Rights Shabbat 2010: Rabbi Debora Gordon reflects on her trip to Israel and the West Bank with T'ruah and the human rights situation there, 2010/5771.
- Sermon on Justice and Respect in Israel: A sermon for the High Holidays by Rabbi Robert Dobrusin, 2010/5771.
- A Rosh Hashanah Sermon on Modern Slavery: Rabbi Charles Feinberg’s Rosh Hashanah sermon from 2009/5770.
- A Family Prayer for the Lighting of Candles and the Blessing of Challah: Prepared for Rosh Hashanah, 2008/5769.
- In the Image of God: Tzelem Elokeem: Prepared by Rabbi Charles Feinberg for Rosh Hashanah, 2008/5769.
- A Rosh Hashanah Sermon on Slavery: Rabbi David Stern’s Rosh Hashanah sermon from 2008/5769.
- Falling in Love Again with Israel: Thoughts for the High Holidays 2008/5769 by Rabbi Ellen Lippmann.
- Call of the Shofar: A High Holidays sermon about torture and indefinite detention by Rabbi Ed Feld from 2007/5768.
- Hide and Seek: A sermon for Rosh Hashanah by Rabbi Rachel Goldenberg from 2005/5766.
- Yamim Noraim - Resources on Human Rights: By Rabbi Brian Walt and Rabbi Jill Jacobs.